Judge Amanda Williams and Glynn County (Georgia) Courthouse
Los Angeles, November 13 - Notice of Formal Proceedings was filed on November 9, 2011, against Superior Court Judge Amanda F. Williams, Chief Judge of the Brunswick [Georgia] Judicial Circuit in the Georgia's Judicial Qualifications Commission. [1,2]
Most counts pertain to violations of the Human Rights of juveniles in drug courts.
- COUNT ONE
- ... you ordered defendant Dills into indefinite restrictive custody,without affording her the right to be heard.
- ... you issued a restrictive order that denied Dills the right to consult with her lawyer.
- ... you ordered Dills to be incarcerated indefinitely...
- ... However,on or about October 8, 2008, after Dills was taken into custody and transported to jail,you sua sponte modified her 28-day sentence to a period of confinement "indefinitely" in the Glynn County Jail and" until further order of the court...
- [The juvenile eventually attempted suicide - jz]
- COUNT TWO
- ...your practice of holding drug court participants indefinitely, without a hearing,and instituting a policy delaying their placement into treatment.
- ...sanctioned drug court participant Charlie McCullough for exercising his right to contest the results of a drugs creen.
- ... ordering Alisa Branch to be confined to a treatment facility on total restriction.
- COUNT THREE
- ...engaged in ex parte communications about substantive legal matters.
- COUNT FOUR
- ...your order requiring payment to your daughter, under penalty of contempt,
- COUNT FIVE
- ...publicly endorsed Jackie Johnson for the office of district attorney in April of 2009.
- COUNT SIX
- You asserted on multiple occasions that the "district attorney is the gatekeeper "for the drug court program,and you have denied any influence over the decision of the prosecute or to admit any one into the drug court program.
- COUNT SEVEN
- ...you failed to disqualify yourself in a case involving your bailiff's son...
- COUNT NINE
- ...or about 2010 group of juvenile probationers appeared in the Camden County Drug Court to observe drug court proceedings. ... One of the participants chuckled during court, at which time you began screaming at her and ordered your bailiff to remove the juvenile, who was crying, from the courtroom in handcuffs.
- Kids for Cash scandal in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, where judges were convicted on racketeering charges, for falsely imprisoning thousands of juveniles after receiving millions in bribes from juvenile prison owners. Release of the victims is still in progress. 
- Rampart scandal in Los Angeles County, California, where judges falsely convicted, falsely sentenced thousands of victims, many of them juveniles. The victims, the Rampart FIPs (Falsely Imprisoned Persons), by and large have never been freed. 
Attempts to initiate investigation of the US criminal justice system have been recently blocked in the US Congress, after strong objections by judges. 
LINKS: Notice of Formal Proceedings against Presiding Judge Amanda Williams
 10-05-01 Kids for Cash Luzerne County Pennsylvania vs Los Angeles County California ABA Journal news and comments
 11-10-20 Republicans Block Justice Review Proposal in Senate - David Rogers _ POLITICO