Los Angeles, November 11 - Tikkun's Rabbi Michael Lerner has called in a Huffington Post opinion piece for "Praying With Our Feet at Occupy Oakland" Moreover, in it, Rabbi Lerner invokes the historic commitment of the US Jewish community to Human Rights, in the footsteps of Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel. [i]
Rabbi Lerner's call for 'praying with our feet in Occupy Oakland,' must be particularly noticed in view of the large-scale abuse of Constitutional, Civil, and Human Rights, associated with the current crisis, including, but not limited to the Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, and Freedom of Assembly, Fair Hearings, and Access to the Courts. [ii]
Rabbi Lerner again shows his commitment to the cause:
- Rabbi Michael Lerner was unique among rabbis, who had been asked, in his willingness to opine on the Los Angeles Jewish Federation and Bet Tzedek refusal to respond on allegations of high level financial fraud by Sandor Samuels and others, current and former leaders of Bet Tzedek ("The House of Justice"). [iii]
- Privately, Rabbi Lerner also opined on refusal of ADL National Director Abraham Foxman to respond on allegations of racketeering in the courts among the leaders of the Log Angeles Jewish/legal community. [iv]
- Rabbi Lerner was one of several rabbis and priests, who joined the call for ending the death penalty in California. [v]
LINKS:[i] 11-11-11 Rabbi Michael Lerner_ Praying With Our Feet at Occupy Oakland
The 2010 submission of Human Rights Alert to the Human Rights Council (HRC) of the United Nations was reviewed by the HRC professional staff and incorporated in the official HRC Professional Staff Report with a note referring to “corruption of the courts and the legal profession and discrimination by law enforcement in California.”
Flag Counter: 126http://inproperinla.blogspot.
* Foreclosure fraud: The homeowner nightmares continueCNN (April 7, 2011)
* About 3 million homes have been repossessed since the housing boom ended in 2006… That number could balloon to about 6 million by 2013 Bloomberg (January 2011)
* "...a system in which only the little people have to obey the law, while the rich, and bankers especially, can cheat and defraud without consequences." http://www.scribd.com/doc/
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CALIFORNIA?* "...judges tried and sentenced a staggering number of people for crimes they did not commit." Prof David Burcham, Dean, Loyola Law School, LA (2001)
* "This is conduct associated with the most repressive dictators and police states... and judges must share responsibility when innocent people are convicted." Prof Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean, Irvine Law School (2001) http://www.scribd.com/doc/
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN CALIFORNIA?* "...corruption of the courts and the legal profession and discrimination by law enforcement in California." United Nations Human Rights Council Staff Report (2010)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE STATE COURTS IN THE UNITED STATES?
* "On July 26, 2010, Laurence Tribe, Senior Counsel for the United States Department of Justice, Access to Justice Initiative, delivered an important speech to the Conference of Chief Justices, challenging them to halt the disintegration of our state justice systems before they become indistinguishable from courts of third world nations."Prof Laurence Tribe, Harvard Law School (2010), per National Defender Leadership Institute (2010)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES?* "More than 100 law professors have signed on to a letter released today that proposes congressional hearings and legislation aimed at fashioning "mandatory and enforceable" ethics rules for Supreme Court justices for the first time. The effort, coordinated by the liberal Alliance for Justice, was triggered by "recent media reports," the letter said, apparently referring to stories of meetings and other potential conflicts of interest involving Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas among others."More than 100 law professors, as reported by the Blog of the Legal Times (February 2011) http://www.scribd.com/doc/
WHAT DID CHIEF JUDGE OF THE US COURT OF APPEALS, 5TH CIRCUIT, SAY ABOUT THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM?
* "The American legal system has been corrupted almost beyond recognition..."
Chief Judge, US Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, Edith Jones, speaking before the Federalist Society of Harvard Law School (February 2003)
WHAT DID THE CHAIR OF THE SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE SAY ABOUT THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM?* In a speech in Georgetown University, Senator Leahy, Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee called for a "Truth and Reconciliation Commission" on the US Department of Justice.Transcript of Senator Leahy speech (2009)